R.P.I. Field House
FRESH LEGS, VOL. 10 (Matrix)
SOURCE 1: SBD (shnid=80126)
SBDMC > PCM > DAT > CD w/Aud MC > DAT > CD >
EAC(secure) > Cool Edit > mkwact(seekable)
shn conversion email@example.com
thanks to Jeff Cook for the cd's
SOURCE 2: AUD (shnid=91347)
MotB Release: 0022/16-bit
Release Date: March 24, 2007
Source: Audience FOB Recording
Media: Maxell UDXL II 90
Lineage: Nakamichi CM300's > Sony 158SD > MAC
Transfer: MAC > Nakamichi DR-1 > Benchmark ADC-1 > AES >
Sound Devices 722 > wav
Taped by: B. Glassberg
Transfer by: A. Egert
Mastering by: D. McCabe
SOURCE 3: Patch AUD/2nd AUD (shnid=8763)
Audience Mics: 1 Sony ECM-33P + 1 AKG D1000e>Teac PC-10
Dat > Sek'd Prodif+ Card (48>44.1) >
Sek'd Red Roaster (fades, edit) > Cdwav (splits) > Mkw
Boundaries verified with Shntool
Source Dats: Matt Vernon
Dat > Shn Transfer: Dale Shepherd
s1t01 - [crowd]
s1t02 - Jack Straw
s1t03 - Dire Wolf
s1t04 - Funiculi, Funicula
s1t05 - Mexicali Blues >
s1t06 - Mama Tried
s1t07 - Tennessee Jed
s1t08 - It's All Over Now
s1t09 - Friend of the Devil
s1t10 - Passenger
s1t11 - Brown-Eyed Women
s1t12 - The Music Never Stopped
s2t01 - Scarlet Begonias >
s2t02 - Fire On the Mountain
s2t03 - Estimated Prophet >
s2t04 - He's Gone >
s2t05 - Drums >
s2t06 - Iko Iko >
s2t07 - The Other One >
s2t08 - Black Peter >
s2t09 - Around & Around
s2t10 - ["A Hand For Our Drummers"]
s2t11 - U.S. Blues
CAVEAT EMPTOR: The SBD cuts out near the end of Black Peter. The rest of the show is AUD-only.
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their efforts.
- This release represents a substantial upgrade over the SBD in circulation (see Source Notes, below). More than any other matrix I've done, this one felt like an exercise in audio restoration. As a result, it's probably my most important contribution to the catalog even though it is far from the best show I've done.
- Ever wonder what the Dead were up to exactly a year after their legendary 5/7-5/9 run in 1977? Well, so did I -- and here it is! Is this show as good as the ones from a year before? No, of course not. But it has a nice loose, casual feel to it, which leads to some interesting moments... though also to some sloppiness. One stray observation: This show has some real great stage-banter. Check out Jerry before "Estimated": "Shit, I can beat you with my nine aces!"
- Both sets are continuous. Source 2 is nearly continous in itself; but it is missing (a) the opening of "Jack Straw" and (b) part of "Drums," both of which I patched with Source 3.
- The SBD source is riddled with serious problems.
* It has numerous drop-outs, both long and short
* It is 2-4% fast, which borders on Chipmunk territory
* The channels are reversed
* The first set has a loud 60Hz hum throughout
* Both sets are overlaid with white-noise
* Once in both sets, the volume radically drops off
* It has all sorts of channel problems (esp. during Mexicali)
* It has all manner of pops, clicks, crackling, etc.
The drop-outs include:
* The first half of the "Finiculi, Finicula" bit
* The end of "FOTD"
* Several short drop-outs during "Scarlet"
* The very last beat of "Fire"!
* The end of "He's Gone"
* A couple drop-outs during "Drums"
* A couple short drop-outs during "Iko Iko"
* A short drop-out during "Black Peter"
* Then the SBD cuts off entirely near the end of "Peter"
I did all new patching for these drop-outs.
I pitch- and speed-corrected the SBD with the iZotope Radius algorithm; I used Source 2 as my reference, as it appears to be at the correct speed/pitch. Set 1 is 3-4% fast; Set 2 is 2-3% fast. (Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.)
I swapped the channels and widened the stereo image a bit.
I did my best to tame the 60Hz hum in Set 1. Traces remain. I also did my best to tame the white-noise without compromising the music. I did what I could with the various pops, clicks, thumps, and channel problems. Some are now undetectable; many remain audible, though they are (I hope) less obtrusive now.
- I used Source 3 both as a patch (to fill in drop-outs in Source 2) and, in a few cases, as a second AUD source to fill out the sound of Source 2 during SBD drop-outs.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
July 6, 2014